DBA was my first entry into Ancients, I had not played any ancients before and was keen to give them ago, with out wanting to jump in the deep end and get going WRG or DBM at the time a whole group of us looked at BDA.
This new version is well overdue, infact something of a bad joke was if it would ever be released, Sue and Phil Barker have been hard at work on this version for some time. meanwhile the rest of us have been stuck with DBA 2.2. There were rumors of release dates back to 2011.
So where we are the new version is a touch late, but better late than never.
DBA 3.0 introduces several changes to the rules. I won’t try and describe them all here how ever, some of the most significant include:
- Additional terrain types such as gullies, rough going and a range of built up areas to provide more variety.
- A revised terrain placement system producing a less player customised battlefield which enhances the game.
- Deployment changes to encourage historical troop deployment.
- Larger moves to encourage more dynamic play.
- Changes in rear rank support to provide greater consistency with historical depths.
- An introduction of solid and fast ratings to better model the differences between some troops.
- Rules to remove geometrical ploys.
- Revised threat zones to requiring greater consideration of reserves.
More info look here http://ancientwargaming.wordpress.com/an-introduction-to-dba/
A simplified view of the Terrain system is. You get up to 3 compulsory and 2-3 optional.
The table is quartered, and you roll on a dice 1-4 it is placed in that quarter, on a 5 defender place it anywhere, on a 6 attacker places it anywhere. Linear pieces may only go through two quarters, and Plough & gentle hill can be placed across two quarters, every thing else must be inside the quarter.
A little FoGish maybe, but a good change, I hope it will make for some interesting battle fields to play upon.
Different ratings for Foot troops is good as well, with Solid Troops being able to get a + in combat res for flank support. Fast troops never get that. Fast troops also move faster.
Possibly the best thing to include in this book and really was needed.
Is a whole section 4 or so times as large as the rules on pic’s on what is allowed as per the TheUnofficialGuideToDBA has in it. quick guide to Zoc and movement in side, Sliding to conform etc. all in there.
http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuide/TheUnofficialGuideToDBA_single.pdf (2.2 edition of rules)
There are new army lists, nearly all of the old lists have changed, and there are some really neat surprises, it looks rather nice.
There is a great Index for both the rules and army lists.
Over all the rule’s, production quality, but it is still missing a Quick Reference Guide. I am now looking forward to playing and would like nothing more than to get a game or two in.
I would get this rule set quickly as they tend to sell out quickly.