E-8 Build – Decals & Finishing Up

Before applying the decals I did a pin wash into the joins on the wings and tail. I used AK-Interactive’s Grey Wash for Kriegsmarine Ships (AK 303) for this step. While not the intended subject for this range, I find this wash is good for light grey models and so perfect for the E-8C. Because this is an enamel wash you have quite a while to work with it and get it where you want. I find dabbing a brush into the cracks and then cleaning excess away with a brush damp with white spirit is a good way of bringing out the cracks without changing the underlying base colour.

I ended up using 3 sheets of decals from a couple of different suppliers:

I-94 Ent. LB-101I-94 Ent. US-121

There are a lot of decals on each of these sheets of various sizes and I didn’t need most of them, but they are there for future projects. I did end up using the following:

  • 4* 30″ stars from 300-US-5 (two on the fuselage and one on each wing),
  • 2* 18″ USAF labels from US-121 (one on each wing),
  • 2* 12″ U.S. AIR FORCE labels from US-121 (both on the fuselage), and
  • 2* 15″ GA from LB-101 (both on the tail).

To finish things off a tiny amount of black pigment was streaked behind each engine and then wiped off. This process left just a small amount of black behind the engines.

With that this build is complete. The base is nothing special, just a clear base with a magnet to hold the plane. Overall this has been a fun little build; probably a little overboard given the off table nature of the model. However, I’m quite happy with how it turned out and it’s nice to have a model with a little heft, even if it is still intimidated by an AA battery.


Leave a Replay

About Us

The Monday Knights are a gaming group based in Melbourne Australia.  We are happy to play just about any game at any time.

We meet every Monday night at the Auburn Bowls club in Hawthorn East, Victoria, from 6pm onwards.

Recent Posts

Follow Us