As part of our Kings of War: Vanguard experience I picked the Northern Alliance. The Alliance likes the big boys and like POTUS said in our previous post that’s almost invariably where painting a faction starts. Not one to disagree with our fearless leader lest I be the subject of a barrage of abusive tweets. So I’ve started with a couple of Snow Trolls.
These guys are pretty big, for scale they are sitting on 40mm bases. These two models are largely the same: both have the same legs, torso and left arm. These come as two pieces. You get some variety by having two different heads and two different weapons. You can see all the different pieces below.
The pieces all have keyed joins so there is only one way everything goes which makes it easy to put together, but does limit how you can pose them. I had a couple of joins when I put things together, but I think that may have been more me than the models. Still it’s nothing that some green stuff can’t fix.
I went for much the same scheme as the box art. I wasn’t inspired by anything else, the one major deviation was their loin clothes. As per normal for my models, I recorded the colours I used below.
- Troll Fur:
- Base: Black with azimuthal white
- Highlight: White (VMC 70.951)
- Troll Flesh:
- Base: Tesla Blue (SC-52)
- Highlight I: Meditteranean Blue (SC-51)
- Highlight II: Sky Blue (SC-50)
- Highlight III: Pastel Blue (VMC 70.901)
- Base: Khaki (VMC 70.988)
- Tips: Birch (SC-25)
- Highlights: Deck Tan (VMC 70.986)
- Undercoat: Stone Grey (VMC 70.884)
- Base: Medium Sea Grey (VMC 70.870)
- Highlight: Sky Grey (VMC 79.989)
- Blue Armour:
- Base: Oily Steel (VMC 70.885) & Gunmetal Blue (VMC 70.800) — 1:1
- Highlight: Silver (VMC 70.997)
- Gold Armour: Old Gold (VMC 70.878)
- Silver Armour: Oily Steel (VMC 70.885)
- Loin Cloth:
- Base: Bering Blue (SC-06)
- Shadow I: Caspian Blue (SC-07)
- Shadow II: Deep Blue (SC-55)
- Highlight: Arctic Blue (SC-05)
- Base: Black Leather (SC-32)
- Highlight I: Brown Leather (SC-31)
- Highlight II: Orange Leather (SC-28)
- Highlight III: Iroko (SC-27)
- Highlight IV: Birch (SC-25)
- Base: Brown Sand (VMC 70.876)
- Wash: Sepia Shad (VGC 73.200)
I plan on doing a little more with the bases. In particular I have a snow effect that I’m going to use on them. I just need to pick up some perfectly clear glue to stick it on.