E-7A Wedgetail – Complete

E-7A Wedgetail - Complete 1

The final step in this build was to print up some custom decals. I used Bare-Metal Foil‘s decal film. This product is a clear film that can be printed on with a laser printer. They’ve a number of variations with different colours and laser printing options all available. It was simply a matter of creating some images and then finding a high enough quality printer to print them out. At this scale even the huge markings on these planes are still only 2-3mm across so you need a good printer. I printed the following image, note the three different copies. I ended up using one and a half.DecalsX3

Read moreE-7A Wedgetail – Complete

E8C – New Photo

E8C - New Photo 2

This is the first project that really hit this blog and so it seemed like a good spot to do some experimenting. One of the biggest challenges with photographing miniatures is dealing with the depth of field. Miniatures have a certain look when photographed. Namely a small part will be in focus and most of the image is slightly out. This really characterises photographs of small things. In fact there’s a technique called miniaturisation where people take a picture of real life scenes and “miniaturise” them to make them look like they’re actually pictures of small scale models. Here’s an example I found on the web (sorry the owner doesn’t allow direct linking.)

Read moreE8C – New Photo

E-8 Build – Decals & Finishing Up

E-8 Build - Decals & Finishing Up 3

Before applying the decals I did a pin wash into the joins on the wings and tail. I used AK-Interactive’s Grey Wash for Kriegsmarine Ships (AK 303) for this step. While not the intended subject for this range, I find this wash is good for light grey models and so perfect for the E-8C. Because this is an enamel wash …

Read moreE-8 Build – Decals & Finishing Up

E-8 Build – Colour Research

The E-8’s paint scheme is pretty simple: they’re grey.  There’s some markings and a couple of other bits and pieces, but grey is the definite theme going on with this one.  Now I have some grey primer lying around that I could use, but that just seemed too easy.  It also doesn’t feel like the right grey: it seems a …

Read moreE-8 Build – Colour Research

E-8 Build – Body work update

E-8 Build - Body work update 5

The model’s been sitting on my desk for a couple of days and I just noticed a casting defect.  The front engine mount is not like the others. I’ve highlighted one of the original pictures below. Not a difficult fix, a couple of minutes with some small side cutting pliers removes the offending metal and piles finish the job and …

Read moreE-8 Build – Body work update